Going camping for Australia Day weekend? It’s time to break out the camping stove and start planning your meals! Whether you’re a seasoned camper or just getting started, there are plenty of delicious options for cooking up tasty meals in the great outdoors. Here are some tips for making your camping trips extra flavourful:
- Plan ahead. Before you hit the road, make sure to plan out your meals and snacks in advance so that you know what ingredients to bring with you. Consider nutritious and portable options like pre-cut vegetables, fruit slices, muesli bars, nuts, or pre-made sandwiches.
- Pack light but smart. If you’re backpacking, make sure to pack light but bring items that can do double duty- for example, a cast iron skillet can be used for both cooking and cleaning dishes.
- Get the right gear. Camping stoves and cookware can put delicious meals on the table. Look for items that are designed to help you save space and time, like nesting pots and pans or multifunctional utensils.
- Get creative with fire-cooked meals. Don’t be afraid to experiment with campfire cooking! With some ingenuity and practice, you can make delicious meals over an open fire. Try wrapping vegetables in foil packets, grilling skewers of meat and veggies, or making campfire pizzas with pre-made dough.
- Get inspired by the classics. Camping cuisine doesn’t have to be complicated! Enjoy some of the classic staples like s'mores, hot dogs, trail mix, and foil-wrapped potatoes.
- Don't forget to grab all your Australia Day essentials before you go!
Happy camping and happy cooking! With these tips, you’ll be sure to have a delicious time in the great outdoors.