Layers of tender pasta and rich meat sauce are the keys to this beautiful Lasagne recipe.
For the Meat Sauce:
4 tbsp olive oil
500g minced beef
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
200ml red wine
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 kg ripe tomatoes, skinned and diced
For the Béchamel sauce:
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
Plus: butter, to grease the baking dish
300g lasagne sheets
50g Parmesan cheese, grated
basil leave to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a pot and fry the meat, adding abit at a time and breaking up the mince as it cooks.
2. Add the onion and the garlic, fry for a few minutes and then deglaze with the wine. Allow to evaporate and then stir in the tomato purée. Cover and simmer for around 2 minutes.
3. Season with salt and stir in the sugar, chilli and tomatoes. Cover and simmer on a low heat for around 30 minutes.
4. Season with ground black pepper and nutmeg and set aside with the lid on.
5. To make the Béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a pot and sprinkle with the flour. Gradually stir in the milk then bring to the boil. Allow to boil for one minute or until thickened slightly, then remove from the heat. Season with salt, ground black pepper and nutmeg.
6. Heat the oven to 200°C (180°C in a fan oven, 400°F, gas mark 6) and grease a baking dish with butter.
7. Place 1/3 of the meat sauce in the baking dish and top with lasagne sheets. Add another 1/3 of the meat sauce and another layer of lasagne sheet. Top with half the Béchamel sauce and spread evenly. Add another layer of pasta and top with the last of the meat sauce.
8. Add a final layer of pasta and stir the Parmesan into the remaining Béchamel sauce. Spread over the final layer of pasta. Sprinkle with extra cheese if desired.
9. Bake for around 30 minutes until golden. Leave to rest for a 5-10 minutes before serving to firm up.
10. Sprinkle with fresh torn Basil leaves and serve with fresh crusty bread.
1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 20 mins